Thursday, February 24, 2005

Brief entry as I have to bugger off to work in a half-an-hour. I just had a job interview in which I was offered a lower per hour rate than I had been anticipating. I accepted anyway as it’s just short term and the next two months could see me in a good way financially if I work hard. The job in question was willing to work around my full-time hours. Nonetheless, they asked me to design a French course for them. I said not for the amount they were paying. It then seemed that they could come up with a textbook. Just a minute ago I received a phone call from a University looking for a teacher. Sad thing about the Uni’s over here is that their salaries are a complete joke, the University position being offered was no exception. If I was a rich idealist maybe… Be Smart (my full-time) has asked me to draw up a plan for a pronunciation course. I don’t know how detailed they want it, but I know how detailed they’re gonna get it. It’s not that they are downright stingy in salary, but coupled with the visa situation, hence lack of an official contract, and their general “maybe you’ll have this class, maybe you won’t” attitude, I can’t see myself busting ass for them. I am starting to understand the nature of teaching in Thailand. Cynical already, I think the smile, say yes and do nothing approach can be used by me as well as them.

No comments: