Tuesday, March 20, 2007


One of the interesting aspects of working in the Eikaiwa industry is observing employers inventive attempts at grabbing more market share. Several years ago the idea of classes for 2 year-olds accompanied by a guardian was introduced. I have no stats to back me up, but I get the impression that this market share was just too thin and exclusive (most parents just want to dump their kids and take advantage of the two-birds-with-one-stone English and babysitting hour) to really be profitable. Now my main employer has introduced a geriatrics element, err... senior citizens class. Smart move considering Japan's ageing population.

Another trend that effects teachers is the small school effect. As competing companies move into smaller areas, in Japan terms - smaller stations, the one or two teacher school is in vogue. When I moved here in '99 I spent five days a week in the same branch. Some of the smaller employers would farm their teachers out here and there, but not the big guys. Times have changed. Next month I will be working at three locations a week for my main employer. Personally, I like the variation in a job where monotony seems the biggest challenge. My second job is at what I would term a "boutique conversational school" (just to be trendy and a touch precious). The experience is much more personal and unique, but the downside is the predictability.

As to whether the efforts to garnish more customers through expanding age ranges or geography have translated into a positive change for teachers is largely subjective, but that may be highly academic as teachers have little choice in who or where they teach.

No comments: