Tuesday, December 04, 2007

For your consumption

With all my attention focused on the plight of Nova and its teachers I failed to dedicate much page space to the students. In order to rectify this, Niles P. Witherspoon III was sent on assignment to get a feel for how the students are enduring life without their regular fix of communication with the foreign countries people.

Hironobu Ogura is a former Nova student of five years who found himself out two hundred thousand yen when Nova filed for protective bankruptcy on the 26th of October. His frustration surely resonates with many who were caught up in what is being dubbed the worst post-war consumer scandal to hit Japan.

NPWIII: Mr. Ogura, bring us back, if you will, to the moment when you first learned Nova was closed and you wouldn't be able to continue classes.

HO: I'm fine thank you and you.

NPWIII: Very well, thank you. So, when did you find out Nova was closed?

HO: Maa...soo desu ne... I think Nova close...maybe end October...kana.

NPWIII: Precisely, the end of October. But what was your reaction to losing so much money. You were out almost 2ooo dollars American, were you not?

HO: You are American people? I very like New York. Also Los...I am baseball fan Dodgers. How about you?

NPWIII: Ah, well, I suppose if I were forced to patronize a sporting contest, it would be cricket. Anyway, back to the main thrust of this. Were you quite angry that Nova's bankruptcy essentially defrauded you of a lot of money?

HO: I think so. How about you?

NPWIII: No, no. I never attended Nova. I am a journalist. The question is...Are...you...angry? (making devil horns with my fingers - Japanese body language for angry).

HO: Oh yes! Anry. Maa...ne... And I question you?

NPWIII: Very well.

HO: Can you eat Japanese food?

NPWIII: I do like it, if that's your question.

HO: Can you raw fish?

NPWIII: Sushi? Yes. Now back to Nova. Would you consider signing up with the new Nova? New Nova good?

HO: How about Japanese chopstick? You can use?

NPWIII: Good lord. I do hope Nova reopens quickly. You certainly need another 5 years.

HO: Thank you for your kindness.

No comments: