Friday, December 14, 2007

Having fried the keyboard on my new computer, it's with great appreciation that I welcome back the Captain's creative genius.

Dear Mr G****,

I am writing regarding your complaint concerning the application process for positions vacant in the R/D department of the Kyushu Tuna Farm Feasibility Project.

As I am sure you are aware we protect the confidentiality of all applications and take the issue of applicant privacy very seriously; to this end I am unable to give you any information regarding which applicant gained the position and to how we arrived at a final shortlist. Although I cannot fulfill your request for information I can give you a breakdown of why your own application was unsuccessful.

1.Throughout my career in both university and governmental level commercial piscine breeding research projects I have yet to come across a food fish, either freshwater or oceanic, that required tutelage in the difference between noun and verb forms in modern English. Although you make a good case for ever depleting tuna stocks needing business English to get ahead in the "ever tightening Asian job market", I do not believe that a) tuna have a larynx that can manipulate air flow to the degree required for human speech, or b) they care one whit above nothing about eikaiwa jobs opening up across Beijing and other industrial Chinese cities.

2. As you state in your resume and referred to a number of times in your letter of complaint you have, having grown up in rural New England, had a great deal of exposure to modern ploughing techniques. Although your proposal to set up a training program to improve our general skill base here at KTFFP I feel it is important to point out that fish farms have never, to the best of my knowledge, employed Peterbilt or John Deer tractor equipment at any of the world`s fish farms.

I hope this letter has answered your questions fully and successfully.

Kind regards,

Toshiko Yamada, Chief Researcher and Personnel Officer, KTFFP

No comments: