Monday, March 07, 2005

If my life now were a symphony, it would be heavy on the percussion instruments, lots of kettle drum and cymbals, none of that sissy triangle, though. My life is filled with ten times the drama as what passes for such on daytime TV. For instance, right now my girlfriend is probably quitting her job, another nail in the coffin that will send me back to the developed world for more money. I should be fair however; her boss is a “biiiaaatch” in the modern day parlance of America’s gangster rappers. It started innocuously enough. She was hired part-time and seemed very excited about the job. Then the dentist described above asked (told) her to go full-time, which she accepted for the extra money it would bring in. Let me say that she works a scant salary, even for Thailand, full-time for a month might mean 150$US. Back to the narrative, she was given one day off a week, again keeping in the tradition of female employment for Japan or Thailand (Ah hah! I have finally happened upon something that can be described as truly pan-Asian - the repression of women). Still she liked the job and the little money does go a fair ways here, plus it beats being bored at home. In any case, today is her day off, and she is… at work. I have seen this happen so many times in Japan. Employers bring up the idea of the “team” and make people feel guilty for not sacrificing their existence to their gagne-pain (bet you wished you studied more French in High School now). Furthermore, it seems as if the dentist’s initial promise of letting Pocky have time off when needed has disappeared just as quickly as any given working condition in this country should. I need to go renew my visa mid-month, which will mean a two day trip to Laos. This appears to be a point of friction. Oh well, there is nothing quite as satisfying as telling a boss to get stuffed; I hope she enjoys it. It looks like those fried locusts they sell at the market will be all that sustains us from now on.

No comments: