Saturday, November 24, 2007


All the lights are on, but no one's home

I taught a private lesson yesterday at the shopping center where one of my old branches was located. A now notorious 'satellite' school that was part of the recipe for disaster,this branch never had more than one teacher at any given time and often the students (if there were any) got lucky man to man lessons. In short,the place was hemorrhaging money. Although it will likely never reopen, it's protected by the bankruptcy proceedings. The lights in the back were off, but I assume that the front lights are on the shopping center circuit, hence the useless illumination.

In other news, I was contacted by the G-men. If you think this takes some of the bite out of my last post, I would disagree. Their timing may seem fortuitous, but I held off on that post for several days. As for my assertion that we were somewhat misled...I stand by it. So will I go back and work for these guys? Yes. Why? Why not? They are going to give me my old days off allowing my to continue working at Hills. The combined income is something I couldn't get elsewhere without entering the perilous world of headhunting. I'm not going to cut off my nose in spite of my face. I came back to Japan for one reason, and one reason only...money. I would be back in Thailand tomorrow if I had a financial windfall. My purpose in being here is not to build a career, rather than to save enough that in 3 to 5 years I can return to Thailand with money invested. My hope is that the investment will create a second income stream that will equal that of a teaching salary. In other words, my total income would be double that of an average TEFLer in Thailand. If I can achieve this then I will be more or less financially secure and will have a lifestyle that I would not have otherwise. The only question is will G-Nova be around for another 3 to 5 years. That will be the subject for another post. But things are not off to a stellar start...

No comments: